Luther R. Hare
1851-1929

 

Luther Hare graduated from West Point on June 17, 1874. He accepted an appointment as Second Lieutenant in the Seventh United States Cavalry and served first in Louisiana in the Reconstruction forces. In 1876 he fought with the Seventh Cavalry in the battle of the Little Bighorn, where he was a scout in Major Marcus Reno's battalion. Hare was commended for his bravery and was promoted to First Lieutenant on June 25, the day of the engagement. During the 1877 Nez Percé campaign Hare fought under Colonel Samuel Sturgis in the battle of Canyon Creek, Montana, where he was once again commended for gallantry. After that battle he continued in service on the Dakota frontier, where he took part in the Sioux Ghost Dance War, and in Arizona Territory on scouting expeditions against the last of the renegade Apaches. During his twenty-four years with the Seventh Cavalry he achieved the rank of Captain.

In 1898, with the outbreak of war in Cuba, Hare was granted a leave of absence to accept an appointment from the state of Texas as Lieutenant Colonel, First Regiment, Texas Volunteer Cavalry. Though he was promoted to full Colonel on June 2, Hare did not see action in Cuba due to the armistice signed in early August.

In February of the following year war broke out in the Philippines, and Hare was called upon to organize the Thirty-third Infantry regiment from Texas. Hare and the Thirty-third landed in Lingayen Gulf on November 7, 1899. Together with other units under General Lloyd Wheaton, the Texans fought at San Fabián, San Jacinto, Tagnadin Pass, and San José. Hare organized and led the Gillmore rescue party, for which he received worldwide recognition. He was awarded two Silver Star citations for his gallantry, and left the Philippines in early 1901 with the rank of brigadier general of volunteers.

He returned to Texas in 1901 with the United States Cavalry as commander of the third squadron of the Twelfth Regiment at Fort Sam Houston. He retired from active duty, with over thirty years service, on July 16, 1903.

 

Source: Arlington National Cemetery web site.

Home ] Up ]